Driving the Minibus in the republic of Ireland considerably differs from the rules present at Northern Ireland. According to section 10B, permits are not applicable in the republic of Ireland and hence any individual planning to take a minibus across the border either on a hire or reward basis is required to clear the driving test for D or D1. To drive a minibus which carries 9 to 16 passengers, the driver usually needs Passenger Carrying Vehicle entitlement called D1. If the individual is driving the minibus for any organization under bus permit scheme, Passenger Carrying Vehicle permit is not required.

This article tries to provide an insight of the requirements for driving a minibus by clearing the procedures smoothly.

The driver of the minibus should make sure below mentioned documents are always available to prove perfect documentation of vehicle during inspection.

  1. Waybill (ASOR and/or EU) or Own Account Certificate.
  2. Document proving registration of vehicle.
  3. Green Card which is certificate of International Motor Insurance.
  4. Certificate of Insurance.
  5. European form of accident which can be collected from Insurance Broker
  6. GB plate

Driver’s Documentation

To prove the driver is eligible to drive Minibus, he should carry the below mentioned documents all the time.

  1. Current driving license with correct entitlement.
  2. International driving permit or translation of license.
  3. Passport with complete details.
  4. Letter to prove authority to drive the vehicle.
  5. Experience certificate and it is for old style driving license only.

The driver should carry his driving license all the time while driving a minibus. The individual should be at least twenty one years of age and below seventy years. On 1/1/ 1997, new driving rules came into existence. Those drivers who have cleared their 1st test from that date can no longer automatically get Minibus Category D1 on their driving license. The exemptions which exists in the country does not allow the new drivers to drive Minibus in limited conditions, are not applied outside UK. To drive a Minibus abroad, new drivers should clear PCV test for category D or D1. Category D is for vehicles carrying more than 16 passengers excluding driver and D1 is for vehicles carrying more than 16 passenger seats excluding driver.

Reducing the Paperwork

The best method of avoiding paperwork of waybills is to get Own Account Certificate. These certificates are valid for five years and they are available free of cost from the International Road Freight office.

For a community group to qualify for this certificate they should either be an owner or a full time operator of the minibus or they should be a fully paid up member of voting of a non profit organization which do not own the minibus.

Like all vehicles it is essential to ensure that the minibus is completely road worthy and that all parts including tyres are functional.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *